Wednesday, December 22, 2010


A Couple Recipes.....

Tonight I made up a batch of Peanut Brittle for my mom, since she loves it. I also found out that my kids love it too except for Noah, which is surprising. I first tried to use a microwave recipe, but it ended up getting cooked to long and tasted a bit burnt. So Anna had fun throwing that in the garbage.

I have to say the best way to make brittle is on the stove with a candy thermomater. The recipe I used is called Grandma's Christmas Brittle and it turned out great. It also makes a good amount, so you probably only have to make one batch. That's if everyone doesn't eat in up in a couple of days. I guess I'll have to hide it somewhere saft.

I also decided to make up a recipe that I found in Cook's Country, which I love to read. It is called Crunchy Spiced Nuts. It's amazing how much some of these would cost if someone made them for you. They turned out awesome and I really think my dad is going to love them.

Crunchy Spiced Nuts

Ingredients:
1 large egg white
1 Tb. water
1 tsp. salt
1 pound unsalted pecans
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cloves

Directions:
Heat the oven to 300 degrees and spray baking sheet with non-stick spray. Then whisk the egg white, water and salt in a large bowl. Then pour the pecans in and coat them with the egg white mixture. In a smaller bown mix the sugar and spices and then pour it over the nuts and mix well. Then pour the coated pecans onto the baking sheet and put in the oven. Bake until dry and crisp, which takes about 40 to 45 mins. Let cool and enjoy:) These can be stored in an airtight container for 3 weeks if they last that long.

So those are a couple of favorites around our household. We have also been busy baking cookies, which seem to disappear very quickly. I think I am going to wait till we get to grandma's house before we bake to many more.

No comments: