Here is a tasty soup recipe that I tried this last weekend and Brandon loved it... I added diced chicken to this soup and I also always thicken my soups with instant mash potato flakes instead of flour. This is a tip I learned from my mother-in-law.
Savory Cheese Soup
- 2 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 cups diced chicken ( optional)
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 package (6 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup beer or additional chicken broth
- Croutons, crumbled cooked bacon and sliced green onions, optional
In a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or you can prepare this on the stove top for faster results.
Combine the flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened or just add a some potato flakes till desired thickness. Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in beer or additional broth.
Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes or until heated through. Top with croutons, bacon and green onions if desired. Yield: 4 servings.